Beauty is only skin deep.
- Hwang Jung Eum as Kim Hye Jin
- Park Seo Joon as Ji Sung Joon
- Choi Si Won as Kim Shin Hyuk
- Go Joon Hee as Min Ha Ri
- 16 episodes
- Original run: September 16 – November 5, 2015
Kim Hye Jin and Ji Sung Joon were unlikely childhood friends. When Sung Joon immigrated to the United States, he lost touch with Hye Jin. Years later, he returns as the chief editor of Most magazine, also hoping to relocate his first love, the beautiful and kind Hye Jin. However, what he doesn’t know is that life has taken a toll on her and she is no longer the pretty girl she once was. Will they be able to rekindle their romance or will memories remain just that?
What a cute drama! I was hooked right in the very first episode. The concept is fresh and exciting though it still retains a lot of the much loved elements. Sure, the main dude is a bit of a jerk but we all know we watch dramas because we secretly (or not so secretly) like one of those snobs for our own keeping. What is different though is how soon we are introduced to his sweet side, which is a complete 180 from his “normal” personality. In fact, much of the story hangs on this side of him, but of course the main gal is not going to see it due to xyz misunderstandings and so forth.
I also like that the heroine is quirky and a bit of a mess! I know first ladies who are in need of a “rescue” are nothing new, but I really enjoy how she is portrayed. She is shaky, nervous, sprinkled with a bit of crazy and a lot of frizz. Still, I can’t wait for her makeover! I know that’s super superficial of me (ha!) but I’m not going to lie – I definitely watch kdramas for the beautiful fashion.
Overall, I highly recommend this show for anyone who is in the market for something new. I’m going to keep watching and I can’t wait for the next episode to come out! Have you tried it yet or do you plan to? I hope I have convinced you to at least give it a shot! Oh and did I mention Siwon is in this? Ohhhh yeahhh.
This & That:
- Hwang Jun Eum debuted as a part of South Korean girl band Sugar. She dated Kim Yong Jun of SG Wannabe, a ballad trio for nine years; they ended their relationship May of this year. She recently starred in Kill Me, Heal Me opposite Ji Sung.
- Park Seo Joon played Hwang Jun Eun’s character’s twin brother in Kill Me, Heal Me. He acted with another veteran actress in Witch’s Romance. He debuted in 2011 by appearing in Bang Yong Guk’s music video for “I Remember.”
- Choi Siwon is a member of popular boy band Super Junior. He is currently trying to break into the Chinese market by appearing in TV series Fall in Love with You Again. He is also going to appear in two Hong Kong movies this year – Hellios and To the Force. SM Entertainment announced on September 2 that he is enlisted as a conscripted policeman due for November of this year.
- Go Joon Hee was in Can You Hear My Heart? with Hwang Jun Eun. She was on the big screen in Red Carpet, a 2014 romantic comedy and Intimate Enemies, a 2015 thriller.