More dead people and a lot more back story.
The Four sneaks Li Mo in to Shen Hou Fu by putting her in a bag and claiming her to be some criminal they captured. They also tell the guard that this particular criminal is a man during the day and a woman at night… Oh dear.
Settling Li Mo is the least of their worries though, because something mysterious has happened since the Four was last in the city. Apparently a bunch of prisoners have disappeared from their jail cell overnight despite being under watch. Tie Shou quotes some book and says that the disappearances are not the act of spirits but perhaps that of an illusionist. Zhu Ge immediately thinks of someone he knows who was at one point a righteous and virtuous individual. At one point this person fell in love with a woman named Die Wu (literally Butterfly Dance). Everything was fine until the Emperor took Die Wu to be his royal concubine and this person has decided to retire from court after that.
Prince An (I’ll refer to him just as ASG for An Shi Geng from now one for ease) is person Zhu Ge was referring to, if you haven’t gathered that already. The two meet up at Ming Yue Lou, the restaurant where ASG first met Die Wu. Another prince also joins them. Zhu Ge tries to solicit an answer from ASG about whether he is the culprit or not, but ASG just dodges these questions left and right. It is clear, however, that ASG is not telling the truth and that he is interested in seeking revenge for Die Wu’s untimely death.
ASG returns home and starts to reminisce about his time with Die Wu. He was attracted to her because she was beautiful and a great dancer, but mostly because she was a very pure woman who refused all sorts of precious jewels and treasures from rich men in favor of true love. Instead of sending her these types of gifts, ASG pens a poem for her and successfully peaks her interest. Soon after, Princess Hua Jiao (owner of Ming Yue Lou where Die Wu performs) arranges the two for a little date by the lake. During this rendezvous, Die Wu brings up her philosophy on being the best in whatever work one pursues. For her, it is dancing, even when she was injured. ASG tells her that being number one isn’t something he is particularly invested in, especially since he is not going to inherit the throne anyway. Uh, why does this woman sound dangerous to me?
OK, enough memories and romance, back to the murders! Zhu Ge shows the Four a poem from which Wu Qing deduces a list of the next targets. They set out right away and who do they meet? Si Da Xiong Tu. So while Tie Shou fights with the vampire guy (who dies from poison), the other three rush to different residences to check on the targets, but they are too late! All the people are dead. Leng Xue and Wu Qing were able to catch one last victim before he dies and they see a scar on the victim’s neck self-heal within seconds.
Back at Shen Hou Fu, Tie Shou draws a picture of the scar and they eliminate the vampire guy because it does not resemble the bite mark of bats (seriously? Dude was really a vampire?!). Annndddd the bad guys? They are out for the Four’s blood now!
- When Ji Yao Hua blocked a hit for Leng Xue three years ago she confessed her love for him because she thought she was going to die. He gave her a special necklace made out of wolf teeth to protect her. In present day, she tries to return the necklace to him, but he insists that she keeps it and even puts it on for her. DON’T GIVE HER FALSE HOPE, MAN!
- Zhui Ming asks the housekeeper, Liu Chun Ping, to accept Li Mo as a maid, but she doesn’t buy it. However, when Wu Qing tries, she agrees right away. Tie Shou reveals that she has a preference for Wu Qing first and then Zhui Ming second.
- Chun Ping calls Zhui Ming a playboy. LOL. You got that right, girl!
- Wu Qing has a cabinet with some trinkets from a girl he is in love with. He met her while buying calligraphy and she liked the same one he did. Clearly a sign of destiny – I mean taste in artwork is super important. Home decor, man!
- ASG is the son of a lowly commoner while his brothers – another prince and the Emperor are the offsprings of the Queen Mother.
- Zhui Ming drags Leng Xue to see Li Mo completing the maid interview. His reasoning? Because Leng Xue saved Li Mo, they are fated to be! Hahahhaha. Yes!
- After seeing how Chun Ping eliminates all maid candidates who are pretty, Li Mo pretends to be a country bumpkin so she gets selected. Chun Ping confiscates the jade pendant Li Mo’s mom left for her though 😦 Booo.