YES! Kim Young Kwang is finally starring in a drama!
- Kim Young Kwang as Kang Jin Goo (29)
- Kyung Soo Jin as Ma Se Young (26)
- Oh Jung Se as Goo Kwang Soo (39)
- Yoo Da In as Joo Da In (33)
- Yook Sung Jae as Kang Min Goo (19)
- Park Cho Rong as Han Soo Ah
- Choi Ro Woon as Kang Dong Goo (9)
- Lee Chae Mi as Jang Baek Ji (8)
- 16 episodes
- Original run: Aug 29, 2014 – ???
An overly superstitious mother never boats well for the rest of the family, but when things begin to take a turn for the worse, the Kang clan is wondering if mom is right that ages ending in nine are cursed. The story follows uncle Gu Kwang Soo, 39 and his nephews, Kang Jin Gu, 29, Kang Min Gu, 19, and finally Kang Dong Gu, 9 as they try to get through a series of misfortunes and also try their luck in the department of love.
tvN must really know me, because I’ve been loving their shows recently. Although Plus Nine Boys didn’t make me burst with joy and excitement, it was off to a very solid start. The first two episodes jumped right in, introducing us to the major characters and their various misfortunes one by one. It is easy to see that Jin Gu’s story line will be the one that’s most developed since he was dealt with last, and given the most on screen time. Kim Young Kwang does a good enough job of portraying his role, but I can’t say he is really apt at bringing it. The story is still developing though so we will have to hold off judgement on his acting chops for the time being.
Aside from the plus nine boys and Kyung Soo Jin – but being the main love interest, I’m sure we will only see more of her – everyone else is kind of just stock for now. I’m looking forward to what the cast will bring, especially since none of them are too experienced. (This is Young Kwang’s first starring role I believe). No word on if I’ll LOVE it yet, but I’m happy to hand over my Fri/Sat slot to this gang for some bromance and humor. I hope it turns out heartwarming with nuggets of wisdom in between, or else the plot might be too stale with the straightforwardness nature of it (boy loves girl, boy woos girl, boy gets girl post some sort of misunderstanding probably).
Should you check it out? I would say yes because if nothing, it is cute and has some eye candy (young and old) to keep you occupied.
This & That:
- Kim Young Kwang debuted as a model and was the first Asian model to walk for Dior Homme. He played a supporting character opposite Han Groo (Marriage, Not Dating) in Can We Get Married? Sung Joon of that show is currently starring in Discovery of Love.
- Kyung Soo Jin recently played Jung Eun Ji (Trot Lovers)’s sister and So In Jung (It’s Okay, That’s Love)’s first love in That Winter, Wind Blows. Her first leading role was in TV Novel: Eunhui which ran for 140 episodes in 2013.
- Kim Mi Kyung, the superstitious mom in this, also is in It’s Okay, That’s Love as Gong Hyo Jin’s mom. What a busy woman!
- Yook Sung Jae is in Korean boy band BtoB.
- Park Cho Rong is in Korean girl band APink, which was a favorite of fictional character, Jang Kang Seok, in Grandpa Over Flowers Investigation Team.